Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:47:47 +0100
From:      Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable modems

Michael Hancock wrote:

> > > Come on, it's only 5-6 years ago I finally got a tone dial phone switch
> > > instead of the mechanical one.
> >
> > Congradulations.  Be thankful you do not live in a small Southern Utah
> > town which shall be nameless, where US West just installed a mechanical
>
> You mean the one at the foot of those excellent ski slopes?

Nah, that's me who lives just down from Park City, where the Bulls are
staying. :-) I live a few miles from my "local office" of US West, and I
can only pull 24,000 to my provider, when back in Civilization <Silicon
Valley> I could pull 26.4 or 28.8 all day long. Here in Metro Salt Lake,
they are using splitters to take 4 lines and convert them to 96, or some
such. I'm not a telco guy, but the numbers are close. Oh, and they will
only guarantee the lines to 1200 bps. :-/

JF