Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:58:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Andy J. Smith" <A.J.Smith@nortel.co.uk>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross compiling for FreeBSD 3.0

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

I have the source for binutils and gcc on my Linux developer's kit CDs, so
presumably I just need to go ahead and:

> Start with getting the Elfkit from:
>
>   ftp://ftp.polstra.com/pub/FreeBSD/elfkit-1.2.1.tar.gz
>   ftp://ftp.polstra.com/pub/FreeBSD/elfkit-1.2.1.patch1
>
> You'll need elfkit-1.2.1.patch1 and binutils-2.6.0.12.patch (the latter
> patch coming from the elfkit tarball).  Apply these patches to binutils-2.7
> (or 2.8).  Read the READMEs in John Polstras elfkit if you are unsure
> how to build a cross compiler - you don't need the elfkit for anything
> other than the READMEs and patch.
>
> Pick a directory in which to want your cross-compilation system to
> be installed (/usr/local/freebsdelf?) and build the patched binutils
> with this prefix.

Is there more info in the bin utils about doing this?  I've never built
binutils or gcc myself, having previously relied on the installed
binaries.

>  Get the include files from a 3.0 FreeBSd system
> and install them in <prefix>/i386-unknown-freebsdelf/include.

Do I need to take everything in /usr/include and below?

>  Grab
> the necessary libraries from a 3.0 FreeBSD system and place them in
> <prefix>/i386-unknown-freebsdelf/lib.  (I am assuming you're configuring
> binutils/gcc for i386-unknown-freebsdelf).

Yes.  Again, is this everything from /usr/lib?  I have a feeling this will
be a somewhat massive set of files...

> Configure gcc-2.7.2 for i386-unknown-freebsdelf and your chosen prefix.
> Build and install gcc.

I believe I've seen gcc documentation on this: Setting up gcc as a cross
compiler, the gcc --target <architecture> etc., is this the right stuff?

> You're now ready to start cross compiling.  I know I left out some
> of the details - I have more precise notes at home if you need them.

On the areas I mentioned above, yes please!

Thanks,
Andy

Ways to annoy your roommate #8: Always flush the toilet three times.