Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:10:44 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Weongyo Jeong <weongyo@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ia64@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Tinderbox <tinderbox@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [head tinderbox] failure on ia64/ia64

On Apr 7, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Weongyo Jeong wrote:

>> ===> usr.sbin/uathload (all)
>> cc -O2 -pipe  -std=gnu99 -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-
>> y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-
>> prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-
>> strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunused-parameter -Wno-
>> uninitialized -Wno-pointer-sign -c /src/usr.sbin/uathload/uathload.c
>> ld -b binary -d -warn-common -r -d -o ar5523.o ar5523.bin
>> ld: failed to merge target specific data of file ar5523.bin
>> *** Error code 1
>
> It looks it's my mistake but I don't know why it happens on only ia64.
> Please let me know if you have a solution.

The problem is that binutils expects machine-specific flags
to match. These machine-specific flags are in the ELF header
and ar5523.o has them. Howeber, ar5523.bin does not. They
end up being different because of that and the linker refuse
to link "object" files with different machine-specific flags.

> I'd try to disable build of uathload on ia64 temporarily.

That's best.
Thanks!

--
Marcel Moolenaar