Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:19:37 -0500
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        Gregor Mosheh <stigmata_blackangel@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade questions 4.10 -> 5-stable

--------------enig500583A51F048DB5A0A96132

Gregor Mosheh wrote:

>I thought I'd ask here...
>
>I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.10, and would like to
>upgrade to a 5.x because of the superior jail support.
>
>Which version would you recommend for someone who's
>really interested in jail support, but doesn't like to
>live dangerously? Of my hardware, the only item of
>note is that I use FreeBSD 4.10's ehci driver for USB
>2.0 devices.
>
>One of the notes in /usr/src/UPDATING was that GCC had
>been upgraded from my current 2.95 to 3.4 and there
>are known compatibility problems with the ABI (what's
>an ABI? the .so's?) Will this upgrade force me to
>recompile all of my existing C++ stuff, e.g. Postgres
>and PostGIS, or will my existing binaries continue to
>run?

I would wait until well after 5.3-RELEASE.  There are several bugs in
5.3 that still exist and I don't expect to see them all worked out
before the release.  There is a USB bug that causes a sig 12 during
printing to a USB printer under certain circumstances.  EHCI used to
force reboots on my machine, but it has been awhile since I checked it
out.  There are simply a lot of reports of lockups and reboots that
would keep me wary for a long time to come [if I had an aversity to risk
as you indicate].

Tom Veldhouse