Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2003 00:06:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Ben Cottrell <tamino@wolfhut.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM on Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103?

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 at 11:10 -0800, Ben Cottrell wrote:

> From looking at mailing list archives, I gather the workaround for
> the installation problem is to disable the EISA bus.

Correct for 4.7-RELEASE.  I tried 5.0-DP2 (I think) and was able to
boot from CD successfully without changing anything.  I didn't do much
beyond that.

> The last report of apm brokenness on Toshiba laptops I can find,
> however, was from almost a year ago. Does that mean it's been fixed
> since that time, or is it just that nobody's asked? :-)

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1005-S157.  APM doesn't even come close to
working.  I don't think there is any APM support in the BIOS.  I think
ACPI with 5.0 is going to be the only solution for my machine.

You may also run into the touchpad problem which requires a kernel
patch.  You can get it from my web page at:

    http://www.4gh.net/hints/toshiba/satellite1005-s157.html

All in all, I'm really wishing I had a different laptop.  The keyboard
with its mislocated ~/` key, no CD-RW, poor battery life, missing APM
and noisy fan all make me wish I had a different laptop.

The only thing good about my Toshiba is it has a line-in port which is
very important for me.  It looks like almost none of the current
laptop models made by anybody have stereo line-in ports any more.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone