Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 11:56:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Joel Mc Graw <jpmcgraw@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Boot: FreeBSD and BeOS

Joel Mc Graw writes:
> Hmmm, this is probably a dumb question.
> The Hardware: AMD K62-400, Maxtor 10G (primary master), Quantum 12G
> (secondary master).
> The Issue: I originally had the Quantum as the primary drive, and I
> installed Be on it.  Then I added the Maxtor, and installed FreeBSD
> 4.1r.  When I boot, the FBSD boot manager says:
> F1 FreeBSD
> F5 Disk2
>
> If I select "F5", it tells me there it finds no boot record.  I'm
> probably overlooking something obvious, but I'd appreciate any
> suggestions.

At a guess, the BeOS boot loader that BootEasy is finding on the
Quantum is confused because you moved the drives around. It's looking
for a Be boot record on the primary mastor and not finding it. You
could check that by making the Quantum the primary master again.

If that's the case, the easiest fix is probably to use the Be
equivalent of a rescue disk, and restall the Be boot loader on the
secondary disk. Alternatively, since the Be loader can boot FreeBSD,
you may want to just use that instead of BootEasy.

The third alternative is to see if grub can boot your Be
partition. You can do that without screwing with the current boot by

	1) "make install" in the /usr/ports/sysutils/grub
	2) Create a boot floppy (check the installed info file for details).
	3) Boot the floppy, and then (assuming BeOS is on the first
	   partition of the second drive) do:
		grub> root (hd1,0)
		grub> makeactive
		grub> chainloader +1
		grub> boot

I forget if the boot is actually required at this point; it isn't in
the menu, but grub provides the boot for the menu.

	<mike