Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:53:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        sec@42.org (Stefan `Sec` Zehl)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1-RELEASE /dev/console

Stefan `Sec` Zehl writes:
> I have yet another problem with 2.2.1-RELEASE :(
>
> I don't have a keyboard attached to my box, and it correctly
> recognizes /dev/cuaa0 as its new console.
>
> BUT, when i leave it running for about 1 day - syslogd stops working
> - i guess it is because it cant write to /dev/console
> because an 'echo test >/dev/console' hangs too.
>
> (i have the terminal on /dev/cuaa0 unplugged because i need it elsewhere)

This makes me wonder why you want the console on /dev/cuaa0 in the
first place.  What do you want to happen to these messages?  If you
want to drop them in the bit bucket when the console is unplugged, you
could try a

  # stty -f /dev/cuaa0 clocal

and see if that works.  I believe there is also an ioctl for resetting
the console to another device, but I don't have sources here to play
around with.  Let me know if you're interested.

> syslogd -ds says:
> quit:/var/log#syslogd -ds
> off & running....
> init
> cfline("*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console", f, "*")
> syslogd: /dev/console: Interrupted system call
> logmsg: pri 53, flags 4, from quit, msg syslogd: /dev/console: Interrupted system call
>
> attached is my kernel-config-file if it matters (running 2.2-STABLE kernel
> from 4 days ago):
>
> I'm really running out of ideas here, since plugging the terminal back
> didn't help anything, and the getty didnt respawn after logout :(

Now that's interesting.  Has anybody else seen this?