Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Lynn Gazis <lynn@elan.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and BSDI binary compatibility

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Lynn Gazis wrote:

> > > Will binaries compiled on FreeBSD also run on BSDI?
> >
> > Probably not. FreeBSD's binary format is pretty unique.  Depends on what
> > you're doing though.
> >

> A server/client application using TCP/IP.  Otherwise, standard C system
> calls.  Is there, by any chance, any option I can compile with, or library
> I can link with, so that this *will* be binary compatible to run on BSDI?

Compile them with the -static option.  That will give you the
best chance of things working.

> I've just spent a week getting FreeBSD installed and the application
> ported there, and been told that the customer really wants BSDI.

Just change FreeBSD to BSDI in all source files and make world.
They'll never know the difference.  :)

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null