Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 18:01:33 +0200
From:      lada@ws6303.gud.siemens.at (marino.ladavac@siemens.at)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@BLACKJAC.mw.mediaone.netDEST
Cc:        mike@BLACKJAC.mw.mediaone.net
Subject:   Re: path statements

> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Wed Sep 17 17:27:34 MET 1997
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:00:45 -0400 (EDT)
> From: User Mike <mike@BLACKJAC.mw.mediaone.netDEST>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: path statements
>
> i tried to alter my path with the .login and .profile files in my directory.
by for some reason i'm not getting anything now. i had to type /usr/bin/mail in
order to even get to the mail directory -- please help! sorry if it's a stupid
question.
> mike webbe

what you did was something like:

PATH=/path/to/my/binaries
export PATH

What you should have done is:

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/my/binaries
export PATH

Please note that the former discards the standard paths provided by the system,
whereas the latter does not--in effect, the latter extends the PATH variable.

Despair not, it happens to everyone, even after years of experience.

/Marino

BTW, your reply address is probably wrong.  The DEST after the .net is
most likely a typo.