Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:52:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

> According to the following press release, the $10 admission charge
> for O'Reilly's "Open Source Town Meeting" will be donated to
> the Free Software Foundation. I believe that this is inappropriate,
> as the Free Software Foundation has an anti-business ideology and
> supports only one form of "open source" software license -- a form
> with which many of us do not agree.
>
> Those who believe that there should be other approaches to licensing
> of open source software should contact the address below and
> register their concerns, asking that there be an opportunity to
> direct one's admission charges to a different group. (FreeBSD.org
> would not be inappropriate, IMHO.)
>
> --Brett Glass

Brett -- I also disagree with the Free Software Foundation's philosophy.
However, I think it's a reasonable place for the funding to go.

There's a large percentage of the Open Source Software built with Gnu
compilers and tools and seeing each group attending this forum
wanting a splintered cut of the take would discourage cooperation.

I think we can let this opportunity to be difficult slide.
Can you imagine the screams if the Linux folks were told a part of the
take was going to support the Freebsd or NetBSD project.

Bill