Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kevin Smith <Kevin.Smith@jud.ca.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up AZT1008 Audio Card

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Greetings.  I was wondering if anyone (FreeBSD3.1 from the CD) out there
> compiled a kernel with support for this card.  I cannot find anything on the net
> about the chipset the card uses.  I enabled PNP and the output when booting is
> this:
>
> Apr 16 00:38:39 xxx-xxxxx2 /kernel: CSN 1 Vendor ID: AZT1008 [0x08105407] Serial
> 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000 [0x00000000]
>
> So I assume PNP found the card.  I then compiled the kernel with this line
> added:
>
> device pcm0 at isa? port0x220 tty irq5 drq0 flags 0x0

That's one way of doing it.  The other is to edit
/sys/i386/isa/sound/ad1848.c (?) and add the PnP ID to the list so it
attaches automatically.

Warning: Aztech cards suck. :)  Packard Bell?

> I can now play .wav files but not midi or music from the cd.  I know
> the card is at irq5 and at port 220.  Hoping the card was SB
> compatible, I removed the pcm0 device and added soundblaster support
> with the following:
>
> controller snd0
> device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq5 drq0 vector sbintr
> options "SBC_IRQ=5"
> device sbxvi0 at isa?
> device sbmidi0 at isa?
>
> I do not know what values to put for sbxvi0 and sbmidi0.  Compiling says
> SBC_IRQ=5 is an unknown  option.  When I reboot I get this:
>
> Apr 16 00:38:40 xxx-xxxxx2 /kernel: sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0 on isa
> Apr 16 00:38:40 xxx-xxxxx2 /kernel: snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
> Apr 16 00:38:40 xxx-xxxxx2 /kernel: sbxvi0 not found
> Apr 16 00:38:40 xxx-xxxxx2 /kernel: sbmidi0 not found

Looks normal to me; the Aztech cards are not SB16s.

> I get the same results:  .wavs are good but no midi and no cdsound.
> X11amp reports it could not open the audio device.

CD sound is simply a passthrough.  Check the CD mixer control using the
'mixer' command.

Try 'cat /bin/cat > /dev/audio'; if you get static then X11amp may be on
crack.

Doug White