Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 11:46:19 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@masternet.it>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Msdos FS

Gary Palmer wrote:

> Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote in message ID
> <3161AA95.41C67EA6@masternet.it>:
> > #mount /mnt/work  (or /mnt/win95)
> > mountmsdosfs(): root directory is not a multiple of the clustersize in length
> > #
>
> IT'S NOT AN ERROR!!!
>
> It's a warning (which doesn't say it's a warning. Sigh). What it does
> say though is that WRITING to the DOS parition could have VERY
> dangerous effects (including trashing data on most of the drive).
>
> I'd advise you to mount it READ ONLY...

Yesterday night, after I read your message, I tried to do some test, and
so I mounted both partition (as you have seen in ro mode) and tryed to
read some files with less...

After few minutes system hangs (I was under X, mouse was frozen, ctrl
alt bs didn't work). Suddenly it resets by itself...

The next boot it arrives till the point where it mounts root fs, but
here stops saying that fsck fails and I have to run it manually, but
when I press return to confirm the shell sh for the single user mode it
goes in panic and begins to reboot itself...

Fortunately I did a backup five seconds before to try mounting the
partition, and now everything is ok , but I am not sure what I report is
only a warning .... It is a real danger :-)

Thanks for your attention...

--

Regards...

| Internet:  gmarco@masternet.it      |        ,,,         |