Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:38:07 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fetch / wget problem

Hi!

I'm trying to write a script which gets a file from remote FTP server.

The FTP username contains dots and this cannot be changed.

There are two firewalls involved, one running on the same server where
I'm doing this (ipfilter, using ipnat ftp proxy) and one between this
server and the FTP server. The FTP server itself is in internal network
using RFC1918 addresses and a port in firewall is being forwarded to
this server.

I think that firewalls are configured correctly, because I can
successfully get the file manually, using the 'ftp' command.

However, when I try this command:

fetch ftp://user.name:password@server.mydomain.com/directory/file.ext

I get an error message:
fetch: ftp://user.name:password@server.mydomain.com/directory/file.ext:
Host not found.

I suspect that fetch, seeing a dot in username, attempts to 'resolve'
the entire URL, instead of just the part after @. Is there a known
workaround to this?

I also tried wget, which succeeds to connect, but then, no matter what
I do, insists on using passive mode.

wget ftp://user.name:password@server.mydomain.com/directory/file.ext
Connecting to server.mydomain.com[12.34.56.78]:2100... connected.
Logging in as user.name ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /directory ... done.
==> PASV ...
and then the process just hangs.

I suspect it would work if I could somehow tell wget to NOT use passive
mode. I initially had FTP_PASSIVE_MODE environment variable set, but
removing this didn't affect wget's behaviour.

Any ideas?
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* RUNTIME ERROR 6D at 417A:32CF : Incompetent user