Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2011 01:55:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org, gerald@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Wine Issue

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Rusty Nejdl wrote:
>>> I just ran into an issue with WINE on amd 64.  I did not have binutils
>>> installed in the 32bit environment.  WINE compiled without issue but when
>>> running it, it would completely hang.  After backing up two versions and
>>> troubleshooting kernels's and nvidia, I found an article about binutils
>>> and as.  After installing binutils in the chroot environment and
>>> recompiling wine, wine is again working without issue.
>>>
>>> Perhaps wine should require binutils?
>> You should notify the maintainer of wine. You can find maintainer's
>> address in /usr/ports/emulation/wine/Makefile
> I was looking for confirmation and also the wiki mentioned emailing here.
> I've copied the maintainer to hear from them as well.

I am not actually maintaining the AMD64 version of the Wine port for
FreeBSD, but if I understand your correctly the solution to the problem
you ran into is installing the 32-bit version of binutils into the build
environment for that version of Wine?  If so, it might be best to update
the Wiki instructions for the AMD64 accordingly and should someone submit
a version of the port for AMD64 support, that would be a good
BUILD_REQUIRES I guess, though I'm puzzled what the actual issue may be.

Gerald