Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:33:11 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>, Julien Laffaye <kimelto@gmail.com>, Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP server in base

> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:33:22 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>
> On 9/10/2010 1:48 PM, Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > another argument about hostapd :) if have access point we must have
> > way to assign IP for AP clients.
>
> To start with, your assumption is wrong. DHCPd is not *actually* a
> requirement, although I admit that practically it is.

It is not. I routinely use hostapd for access for my iPod. I use
static addressing and don't run dhcpd.

> > Since this device is router I must be
> > able to serve DHCP. And current implementation of dhcpclient, that we
> > have, is same isc-dhcp, and I replace system dhcpclient with ports
> > one+dhcpd but with small patch that put basic dhcp utils onto
> > libdhcp.so.

Again, I tend to not make much use of DHCP except when traveling. If I
am on a "known" network at work or home, I static address everything
(including the iPod and my laptop). I don't need (or run) dhcpd for my
use.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)