Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:38:05 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Audio/multimedia recommendations

OK, so I've finally moved over to FreeBSD from Linux, and I've fallen in love.
To me, this OS makes so much more /sense/ than Linux, though I'm not
evangelizing nor knocking anyone's choices. I realize the strength of the
FreeBSD is on the server side, but I like it enough that I'm planning on
using this current install as a workstation (and later I plan on using a
combined FreeBSD/OpenBSD setup for a mail/web server network, OpenBSD being
dedicated to firewalling). My stats are FreeBSD 5.2.1 RELEASE, KDE 3.2.3 (I
also have Gnome but don't use it often). After toying around a bit with the
various installed media players as well as installing XMMS (which has some
quirky problems with KDE), I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on
media players, as this ain't cutting it and there are so many audio and
multimedia ports that it's a rather daunting task trying to pick any of them.
My previous Linux experience didn't involve much media, so I'm not familiar
with what's popular or what works well. I'm particularly interested in any
players which support streaming media, especially standards like Real and
WMP. I tried going to the Real page to dl their player, after discovering
it's no longer in ports, and there is no option for FreeBSD, and the Linux
player is a binary - haven't tried it yet.

Also, my mobo is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with an ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card.
The mobo works fine with FreeBSD, but I haven't been able to get my video
card to work, even though I've been through a number of steps advised on
different sites, including building AGP into the kernel and Radeon support
into XFree86. I've also searched through the list archives, but the answers
given tend to vary, and the ones I've tried haven't worked. I know many
people have asked about this issue, but I have yet to find a solution which
works. Anyone have an answer they know works? I'm not all that interested in
playing games on this machine or using 3D much at all, but it would be nice
to speed up my system by actually using the video memory the card uses.

- jt