Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:02:26 -0500
From:      "Omer Faruk Sen" <freebsd@faruk.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   canon a40 digicam

Has anyone here achived to work canon a40 digital camera with FreeBSD?

I have followed these steps but it didn't work:

1) Edited usbd.conf
  device "PowerShot A40, Canon Inc."
       product 0x3058
       vendor 0x4a9
       attach "/usr/local/bin/gphoto2 --auto-detect"

2)kldload usb.ko
3)usbd
4)usbdevs' output:
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 2: PowerShot A40, Canon Inc.

5)And my dmesg output related with usb*

usb0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB controller USB-A> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
usb1: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB controller USB-B> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
usb2: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB controller USB-C> on uhci2
usb2: USB revision 1.0

But kernel doesn't recoginize my camera. Maybe I am doing sth wrong?

By the way here is my gphoto's output (run by root) :
pdp:/home/balli# gphoto2 --camera "Canon PowerShot A40" --port "usb" -L

*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find USB
device (vendor 0x4a9, product 0x3058). Make sure this device is connected to
the computer.
*** Error ('Bad parameters') ***

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@gphoto.org>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

   env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --camera "Canon PowerShot A40" --port "usb" -L

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.