Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 07:44:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      joel@OARcorp.com
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@remote.my.domain
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD really gets around!

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> Yippee! Here is an interesting message from the crossgcc list today.
>
> We'll be providing an RTEMS compatible FreeBSD crossm68k port upgrade ASAP.
> Other targets as we get hardware and time...
>
> Many thanks to Eric, Joel and the other RTEMS contributors!

4.0 contains a port of the FreeBSD stack by Eric Norum.  He did the
development on a 68360 target so the m68k has been tested.  Others have
tested the stack on a PC (WD8003), i386ex (Intel 82596), ColdFire (don't
remember), and a PowerPC (Sonic).  The performance of the stack is
impressive with Eric's 25 Mhz 68360 reporting 1000 Mbytes/sec transmit and
receive rates using the ttcp benchmark.  This is 3-5x faster than the KA9Q
stack could do.

FreeBSD is also now a supported development host and a target OS for the
"UNIX port" of RTEMS. The UNIX port of RTEMS lets you test RTEMS
applications running as native processes under UNIX.  Real hardware is
virtualized so UNIX signals are interrupts, alarm generates the clock
tick, setjmp is used for context switches, etc.   There are some things
which can not be used in this mode but given a volunteer those could be
fixed.

I should also mention that Wes Peters mentions RTEMS in next month's
edition of the online ezine Daemon News (http://www.daemonnews.org).

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (256) 722-9985