Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 1995 14:48:20 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        crtb@upcoming.dcrt.nih.gov, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does ls report wrong creation date on symlinks?

>> >POSIX leaves a loophole, allowing read-only media to ignore the
>> >update requirements -- so you can be technically compliant if you
>> >mount the disk read-only.  Very useful.  8-).
>>
>> Pretending that directories were modified at the current time breaks
>> even this :-).

>Actually, no it doesn't.

>POSIX doesn't require the information be accurate.

>POSIX only required that the information be updated in certain
>circumstances.

2.3.5 ... "Updates are not done on files on read only file systems."

Do you think this is badly worded enough to be optional?  (It should say
"shall not be done".)  Do you think file times are allowed to changed if
they haven't been updated?  I couldn't find anything saying that.  I
wouldn't want to use an implementation that changed them.

>Directories, on the other hand, do not even need to be considered as files
>at all... the update semantics are based on the opendir/readdir.  The

They do for creat() etc.

Bruce