Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2013 06:21:49 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        wblock@wonkity.com
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: multi-instance and self-contained rc.d script

----Security_Multipart(Tue_Jul__2_06_21_49_2013_915)--

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote
  in <alpine.BSF.2.00.1307010624530.29556@wonkity.com>:

wb> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
wb>
wb> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 06:29:53AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
wb> ...
wb> >>    b) Make rc.d/foo always have rc.d/foo(8) manual page.
wb> >
wb> > However, I don't like another set of manual pages.
wb>
wb> They could be autogenerated by reading comments and variable values in
wb> the rc.d scripts.  Of course the rc.d scripts would have to contain
wb> that information.  At least it would be in the same file, helping to
wb> keep the doc in sync with the script.  This is not to suggest a full
wb> man page in the script, just a short text summary along with variables
wb> that may be used.
wb>
wb> '/etc/rc.d/routed manpage' would return the generated mdoc code.
wb> '/etc/rc.d/routed help' could pipe that output to man.
wb>
wb> What filenames or section would be used for the generated man pages?
wb> routed(8) already exists, and "rc.d/routed.8" has problems both as a
wb> filename and an argument to man(1).

 I do not think manual page autogeneration is simple becuase what we
 need is not just for one-line comments about each variable.  The goal
 of adding manual pages is a replacement of rc.conf(5) manual page.
 It includes examples and usage of complex rc.d scripts like
 rc.d/netif.  If we want an option to show comments for variables,
 adding the third parameter into set_rcvar like this:

  set_rcvar program /sbin/routed "Pathname of routing daemon"

 makes "rc.d/routed rcvar" possible to show them as

  routed_program="/sbin/routed"   # Pathname of routing daemon (default: "/sbin/routed")

wb> routed(8) already exists, and "rc.d/routed.8" has problems both as a
wb> filename and an argument to man(1).

 What is the problem with the name rc.d/routed(8)?

-- Hiroki