Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:31:04 +0200
From:      Hans Drexler <drexler@geotax.nl>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org, GB <gbrooks@blue-mouse.com>
Subject:   Re: Answering the Questions (was Re: FreeBSD PR (long, rambling -- bear with me))

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 08:44:00AM -0400, Michael Lucas wrote:
[...]

Please let me add my $0.02 for identifying BSD's audiences. There are a
lot of small to medium sized companies in the world that can benefit
from BSD for day-to-day jobs:
. handling e-mail
. handling the web-site
. file-serving
. other business tasks
This market is huge, and there are a lot of firms that just don't know
there is a good solution for them that will not cost them lots of money.
I am not thinking about the desktop applications, although we could
add pointers to MacOS X for that!

The strenghts of BSD in this market:
. reliable
. cheap
. stable environment (the project will not dissappear next month and has
  a well thought out development and release cycle.)
. easy administration. (even I can do it).
If we can make a nice presentation targetted at admins and/or management
of these companies, a lot of new users can be coming our way! We should
add a few business cases. These should not be techy in style. They
should just present a solution to some business needs that are common.

This could lead to the development of deployment scenarios that can be
implemented by such companies easily.

I would be interested in thinking about these issues some more and contributing
to efforts in this direction. But english is not my native language...

Hans Drexler
bsd-advocacy@geotax.nl