Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:11:07 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   nologin file (was: Re: Symbios 875 activity LED?)

Probably belongs in -current rather than -scsi.

Ollivier Robert writes:
> According to David Kelly:
> > member of group "operator") that /etc/nologin was not being deleted.
>
> It has been moved recently to /var/run/nologin:

Noticed that in shutdown.8 (keep trying to type "sendmail" here).

I see /etc/login.conf has the default user set to honor
        :nologin=/var/run/nologin:\

Apparently updating my login.conf cured my nologin lockout problems due
to the above line as:

nospam: [1009] ls -l /etc/nologin
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  41 Jan 16 21:27 /etc/nologin
nospam: [1010] ls -lu `which shutdown`
-r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  149920 Jan 16 20:32 /sbin/shutdown*
nospam: [1011]

Now that's interesting. /etc/nologin is newer than shutdown was last
used. Think that's because I've started using control-alt-delete of
recent. What does control-alt-delete launch that would create the above
nologin file as I need to update that too? But am still concerned
whatever it is is not unlinking it before system halt.

> -=-=-
> asami       1999/01/11 01:07:42 PST
>
>   Modified files:
>     etc                  login.conf rc
>     include              paths.h
>     sbin/shutdown        shutdown.8
>     usr.bin/login        login.1
>   Log:
>   Move nologin from /etc to /var/run.  This means one less file that has
>   to be written to /etc.
>
>   The only essential change is in paths.h, so any third-party software
>   written correctly will pick it up in the next rebuild.
> -=-=-

Arrgh. Now I see it. My /usr/include/paths.h is from November 8. This
accounts for shutdown.

So what else creates /etc/nologin? Short of a new "make world" I need
to update paths.h and build a new shutdown. But what else?

And is there a way to extract the above commit message out of cvs? Do I
need to cvsup something special other than src-all? Only recently
subscribed to cvs-all (and -current) and wonder if that's the only place
to get it?