Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:59:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        alandsidel@venon.com
Subject:   Re: cvsup confusion

In article <4.3.2.7.2.20010222115520.00c661a8@64.7.7.83>, Allen
Landsidel <alandsidel@venon.com> wrote:

> Load spikes etc don't seem ludicrous.. I grok all of what you're
> saying.. that was my long winded reply to a single statement.. "if
> everyone put it in their periodic.."  I was just making the point
> that forgetting periodic or cron, if "everyone" was cvsupping, it
> wouldn't matter what time they were doing it, it would bring the
> servers all to their knees.

OK, sorry for my bout of indignation.  It happens to me every now and
then.  As far as I can tell, I'm over it now. :-}

> Well, I do see the point here.. this brings up an idea that could
> help out some.. oh wait.. two ideas!  With an encouragement to
> everyone out there to give them a shot..
>
> 1. Run your own private cvsup mirror if you have more than one
> machine cvsupping on your lan, and hit that instead from your other
> machines.

Yep, that's great advice.  A heartwarming number of sites actually do
that already.  Some don't, though.  It's frustrating to see four or
five updates from the same class C all starting at exactly the same
time.  To combat it, many mirrors install a rule in cvsupd.access that
allows only one connection at a time from a given class C block.  It's
not a perfect way to enforce it, but it usually works pretty well.

> 2. Do your builds -before- you cvsup.  This has a couple of
> benefits..  First, it'll help spread out the time (if you're using
> default periodic scheduling) if you don't update until after you've
> built world.  With the wide range of machines out there of varying
> speeds, this would help immensely I think.  Second, it allows you
> to do something everyone should be doing anyway.. pay attention to
> messages on this list for a week (if updating weekly) to look for
> problems in the version they just downloaded, and have them fixed.
> Third, if there was a problem in the version you're trying to build,
> you'll probably be ok because right after it fails, you'll be
> getting a (hopefully) fixed version.
>
> A build-cvsup-build all at once would put some strain on the
> machines, but for automation it would be near bulletproof.. it's
> not rare for something broken to be comitted, but it is rare for
> broken things to be submitted every week.  (By broken I mean
> catastrophically broken, like won't compile, or compiles with gaping
> holes like the recent ipfw "established" rule breakage.)

That's good advice, though in this age of instant gratification I
doubt many folks will follow it.

John