Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 17:35:39 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        Rink Springer <rink@springer.cx>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD's on ISA bus: how?

In message <3A04A8CD.6BDBB8CD@bellatlantic.net> Sergey Babkin writes:
: Maybe I'm missing something but I think that the point of the identify
: routine is to discover this address whatever it is, so it does not
: have to be fixed.

That doesn't work on the ISA bus too well, unless the card can only be
in a few places and your probe routine is guaranteed to be
"non-destructive" to other cards, which is almost impossible to
guarantee.

In Rink's case, he's talking directly to the parallel port, so he
might be able to meet these guarnatees.

: In 4.x if you say in config file
:
: foo at isa
:
: and provide the identify routine in the driver the result should be
: the same. The "ep" driver does that using a proprietary probe
: procedure.

Most cards don't have that backdoor. They are either full plug and
play, or they are rock stupid.  Come to think of it, there are some
that are both :-).  The foo at isa might not work even in 4.x.  It
will attach a child with no hints at all, so the probe routine won't
know where to look.  The identify routine is the only way to deal.  In
4.x, you say
	device	ep
not
	device	ep at isa