Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:56:04 -0600
From:      Mark Hummel <mhumm2@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What is a DCOPserver and What function Do They Serve???

It took me 2 hours to even figure out how to pose this question because my
symptoms are so intermittent.  I can't even find a man page about these files
nor can I find anything in my fbsd books.

My desire is to boot directly to KDE, but I don't want to set that up until I
can get it to work manually the first time and every time.

I have a cable modem set up with my LinkSys NIC which fbsd does recognize
quite well as dc0.

mhumm2# dmesg|grep dc0
dc0: <LC82C115 PNIC II 10/100BaseTX> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem
0xd5501000-0xd55010ff irq 11 at device 10.0 on pci0
dc0: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0

Running  startx  begins to bring up the KDE start screen, but then
the error occurs:

	There was an error setting up inter-process
	communication for KDE.  The message returned
	by the system was:

	/root/.DCOPserver_mhumm2_:0
	Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

When I click on "ok", I'm sent back to terminal text mode.  If I wait for
about 1 minute, I can startx again and stand a 50-50 chance of everything
working fine (except a fatal sound error, but that's another post).

Sometimes it's 1 retry and sometimes it takes 3, but eventually, KDE does
come up without a dcopserver error.  Here are my config files:

mhumm2# cat /etc/rc.conf
 # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sat Dec 29 20:50:50 2001
# Created: Sat Dec 29 20:50:50 2001
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
lpd_enable="YES"
ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
hostname="mhumm2"

mhumm2#cat /etc/dhclient.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/dhclient.conf,v 1.2 1999/08/27 23:23:41 peter Exp $
#
#       This file is required by the ISC DHCP client.
#       See ``man 5 dhclient.conf'' for details.
#
#       In most cases an empty file is suffient for most people as the
#       defaults are usually fine.
#

interface "dc0" {
send host-name;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,
        domain-name-servers, domain-name, time-servers;
require domain-name-servers;
}

I don't understand the text in the file /root/.DCOPserver_mhumm2 and
/root/.DCOPserver_mhumm2_:0 but here they are:

mhumm2# cd /root
mhumm2# cat .DCOPserver_mhumm2
local/mhumm2:/tmp/.ICE-unix/504
504

mhumm2# cat .DCOPserver_mhumm2_:0
local/mhumm2:/tmp/.ICE-unix/504
504

And before you ask, "Yes", I am su(ing) to root before I run startx.  I saw a
reply by Ms. Annelise that touched on this topic, but I'm not clear on it.

Please help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to
start helping others on this mailing list, but I've got to understand this
stuff first.

Mark