Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 06:56:49 +0100
From:      "Lars G. Erlandsen" <lerland@icrt.demon.co.uk>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help: FreeBSD 2.1 'mount' fails on 2.0 SCSI partition

In message <199607051709.RAA01856@jraynard.demon.co.uk>, James Raynard
<fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk> writes

[cut]

Further to your opening reply to my cry for help with the corrupt BSD
2.0 partitions, I have now managed, in no small part thanks to
everybody's help, to restore my data.

Reading through **ALL** the supplied documentation, I eventually found
the small print from Jordan, warning people of incompatibility problems
and panic's if trying to mount 2.0 partitions. This tied in with people
advising me that the partitions looked ok, however, the 'd' partition
was gone in 2.1, and I could probably get away with hand-editing the
disktab info, and write it back.

In the end I decided to settle for safety. Last weekend I removed all
other hard drives except the SCSI drive, turned off LBA, cleaned out an
IDE drive completely, made two partitions (one MSDOS, one BSD), re-
installed my 5.25" floppy drive (my 3.5" boot floppy image on the
FreeBSD 2.0 CDROM was corrupted), created 5.25" boot floppies, installed
a minimum FreeeBSD 2.0 from the two floppies, booted it, manually
mounted the DOS partition, and then the SCSI partitions. That done, I
tar'ed the relevant directories without compression (no compression
available without installing yet more software) to the DOS partition.
Then I re-built the machine back up again, copied the data over to
several other partitions, verified it in many ways, and only then did I
drop the SCSI partitions.

I've now got a fully working FreeBSD 2.1 system. The installation of
that was the smaller job in the end.

FreeBSD is still not happy about booting from a SCSI disk, but I've just
created the root partition on an IDE disk, and manage that way. The tcp
also seems very slow on interactive work with lots of little packets, as
if it is ignoring the setsockopt(,,TCP_NODELAY) call I make. However,
the system is tight, compact, sturdy, and very responsive in every other
way.

A tape drive is now on my 'must have' list. I wonder why...?

Lars G. Erlandsen, Inter-Connect RealTime Ltd.
email lerland@icrt.demon.co.uk