Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:54:48 +0300
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        Brent Bloxam <brent@beanfield.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mother board compatibility and CF card usage as main storage device for small DNS server

On 30/09/2010 17:54, Brent Bloxam wrote:
> Kaya Saman wrote:
>>  From what you mention it sounds like a bad idea as the system disk
>> will have many R/W's going through it it seems as /tmp and Swap get
>> written to all the time.
>>

> You can skip swap altogether and use MFS (memory filesystem) like
> Brian mentioned for other high write partitions that don't need to be
> persistent (/tmp, /var/log). See the following article on the
> freebsd.org website about using solid state storage:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/solid-state/article.html
>
> Keep in mind though that Brian's setup was for slave nameservers that
> would be caching from another master. If your nameserver is acting as
> master, you'll be storing your records on flash since you need
> persistent storage, but I don't imagine those files will be write
> intensive.
>
> Also, if you make /var/log MFS, you'll want to have an external syslog
> server set up ;)

Thanks a lot so it should be ok then! :-)

Yeah sounds like a good setup, and also a syslog server :-)))) this is
exactly what I need in order to check my IOS logs coming from my Cisco
boxes. I had previously imagined it to be a simple tftpboot server but
sounds like it's standalone.

That's cool! I mean I really like having logwatch mailing me all
necessary information anyway so that coupled with a syslog server should
be pretty good :-)

Nice ideas need to do some Google'ing now as I don't know what MFS is
yet but I will.... :-D

Cheers and best regards,

Kaya