Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:11:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Anis Badri <anilinet2k@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ed0 does not appear

--0-1810167662-982019487=:15755

Hello I am a newbie to FreeBSD and wanted to ask about an issue related to NIC card installation.

I bought an SMC EZ isa nic card and plugged it into an open ISA slot on my machine.

Next I booted up and did the following:

ping localhost  -- It worked

Next I tried ifconfig ed0 -- and the system returned stating that an ed0 device was not installed.

I ran /stand/sysinstall and went through the network configuration menus but never saw the ed0 device.

ifconfig -a returned

ppp0, lp0, s10 but not ed0.

I am not sure what I am missing.

My goal is to configure PPPOE so that I can access the internet over the internet.

Thanking you in advance for your time.

Anis T.

- Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail Personal Address  - only $35 a year!
--0-1810167662-982019487=:15755

<P>Hello I am a newbie to FreeBSD and wanted to ask about an issue related to NIC card installation.</P>
<P>I bought an SMC EZ isa nic card and plugged it into an open ISA slot on my machine.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Next I booted up and did the following: </P>
<P>ping localhost&nbsp; -- It worked </P>
<P>Next I tried ifconfig ed0 -- and the system returned stating that an ed0 device was not installed.</P>
<P>I ran /stand/sysinstall and went through the network configuration menus but never saw the ed0 device.</P>
<P>ifconfig -a returned </P>
<P>ppp0, lp0, s10 but not ed0.</P>
<P>I am not sure what I am missing.</P>
<P>My goal is to configure PPPOE so that I can access the internet over the internet.</P>
<P>Thanking you in advance for your time.</P>
- Get personalized email addresses from <a href=http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/>Yahoo! Mail Personal Address</a>  - only $35
a year!
--0-1810167662-982019487=:15755--