Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:55:01 -0800
From:      tomb <tomb@cgf.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Compaq proliant 1850R won't boot with new SMP kernel.

Hi

I'm trying to get SMP working on a Compaq ProLiant 1850R.
Using FreeBSD 3.3.

I unhashed the standard SMP options and built the kernel.

Rebooted

The first boot complained about the number of interupts.  It even
provided me with a suggestion to raise the number in the kernel to 36.
Which I did (see below).

Here's the SMP kernel options that I used.

options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
options         NCPU=2                  # number of
CPUs
options         NBUS=4                  # number of
busses
options         NAPIC=2                 # number of IO APICs
options         NINTR=36                # number of INTs

The second time I boot with the newly increased number of NINTR's
I got the following message at boot and the machine just freeze's.

Config>q
avail memory = 13307904 (122996K bytes)
Programming 35 pin's in IOAPIC #0
IOAPIC #0 intpin 28->irq-1
IOAPIC #0 intpin 29->irq-1
IOAPIC #0 intpin 30->irq-1
IOAPIC #0 intpin 31->irq-1

And that's as far as it goes, it has to be powercycled!!!

Any ideas would be welcomed..

Tom

--
Tom Brown