Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:42:30 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One more serious problem with -current PCCARD support

In message <86r9fisfe2.wl@ringo.FromTo.Cc> Tatsumi Hosokawa writes:
: At Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:06:43 +0900,
: Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp> wrote:
:
: > "ether" subcommand in /etc/pccard.conf does not work with -current
: > if_ed.  So, IBM Creditcard Ethernet and some major ed cards will have
: > invalid MAC address.
:
: Hmm... I'm just working on this but I feel it's difficult.  Are there
: any clean way to pass 6-byte length data (MAC address) from
: sys/pccard/pccard.c to sys/dev/ed, or another way to do the same
: thing?  I want to set MAC address to sc->arpcom of sys/dev/ed, but
: nobody but sys/pccard/ knows the correct value of MAC address in the
: kernel.

Right now the ethernet information is passed between the kernel and
pccardd in the misc field of the dev attach.  I've likely broken the
association between it and the MAC address in current's oldcard.

Likely the fastest way to deal with this would be to add the misc
field to the pccard ivars that get stuck on the device and have an
accessor function to grab it from there.  This should solve the
problem of needing to pass down the ethernet addresses.  I can try to
find some time to code this up...  I'd have done it if I had one of
the bad ethernet cards :-).

Actually, that reminds me that I do need to fix if_sn_pccard.c in a
similar way...

Warner