Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 1996 02:07:11 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>, louie@TransSys.COM, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MBONE volunteers?

>From The Desk Of Petri Helenius :
>
> Amancio Hasty, Jr. writes:
>  > >From The Desk Of Petri Helenius :
>  > > Amancio Hasty, Jr. writes:
>  > >  > Well, I am all ears 8)
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Are you saying that you an encode an audio stream into mpeg audio
>  > >  > in real time? Please point me to the tool ...
>  > >  >
>  > > http://www.xingtech.com/
>  > >
>  > > Pete
>  >
>  > Isn't xingtech's mpeg encoder mostly for windows?
>  >
>  > I would like source code which I can use in FreeBSD 8)
>  >
> I think Xing's encoders run in Unix platforms but you have to shell
> out $$$ for those and they don't do multicast.
>
> The source code I have cannot be said to run on real time. But Xing
> has proven that it's doable.

Well, try to find out more about it . Because the Xing Xtreamwork which
I used in the past used a PC with dedicated hardware to do the encoding.
The server ran in an SGI box and received the encoded audio stream
from the PC box.

I hope that soon we will have dedicated hardware which can do  hardware
audio and/or video encoding

At any rate, I think someone should look into to see if mpeg
audio encoding can be done in software.

	Regards,
	Amancio