Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:12:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        dirk.vangulik@jrc.it
Cc:        chanders@timing.com, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with passing fd on FreeBSD

> I struggeled with the same, in particular as the most recent book of
> Stevens uses the API as described in RFC2292. And two of the macro's
> are not quite part of socket.h. (why is this actually?)

Well, my best guess is that the RFC (entitled "Advanced Sockets API
for IPv6") is based on IPv6, which we have not integrated into
-current.  (What's the story on that, anyway?)

The feature I thought you were referring to is passing an fd through a
local domain socket, not an inet socket.  To the best of my knowledge,
BSD does not support the latter operation.  (It would be nontrivial.)

Best,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan