Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:35:55 +0100
From:      Manuel Kasper <manuelk@bluewin.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware monitoring on Compaq servers

I'm using FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE on a Compaq ML370 server - everything is
working fine at the moment (no RAID controller installed at the moment ;).

However, there's one thing I'm wondering about: is there any FreeBSD
driver/application/whatever that monitors the system's health (temperature,
fan speed, failed components, etc.)?
The reason why I'm asking is because Compaq provides such drivers for
Linux, which report any failures via syslog.
These drivers also control the fan speed (as soon as I load the driver
under Linux the extremely high speed of the main fan is reduced to
something more reasonable for the system temperature).
Unfortunately they do not provide any specs or source code.

It's just because I don't feel like having some vital components fail just
because a cheap little fan failed and nobody noticed. ;)

Thanks,

Manuel