Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:22:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael DeMutis <mike@2Gen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Path from 2.2.2

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Michael DeMutis wrote:

> This may seem like a silly question but I have a 2.2.2 FreeBSD Server that
> we're using as a mail server.
>
> What is the proper upgrade path to move this up to a 3.4 STABLE machine,
> and once I move to 3.x do I need to remove anything that would be
> redundant?

A binary installation of a 3.4 snapshot would by far be the easiest way to
go. You can do a source upgrade but it's a long and difficult road:

2.2.2 -> 2.2.8-STABLE
2.2.8-STABLE -> 3.2-RELEASE (make aout-to-elf or something, check
/usr/src/Makefile*)
3.2-RELEASE -> 3.4-STABLE.

The reason you have to dgo to 3.2-REL and cant go directly to 3.4-STABLE
is because of reported breakage if you try and go directly.

Kris

----