Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:34:17 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lynx w/ SSLeay working: crypto.h diff

On Fri, Aug 28, 1998 at 12:22:38PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> > Do you want to see SSLeay support merged into the FreeBSD port?
>
> I don't know enough about crypto restrictions to know how much effort is
> involved in making that happen, and I'm certainly not going to say I
> want it until I'm willing to do it myself. :-P

Theoretically it is just a couple of .ifdefs.  They may need to test
USA_RESIDENT or force the user to manually define some variable,
depending on what's in the patches (do they contain any crypto code
themselves?), etc.

The simplest, least automatic way is probably

# Define USE_SSL if you have SSLeay installed and want to use the
# patches that let lynx read shttp: urls.
.if defined(LYNX_USE_SSL)
PATCHFILES=	whatever
.endif

> > Are future versions of lynx expected to ship with SSL default?
>
> No.

It would be nice to have it as an option in the port, then.  If you do
this, you need to talk to the MAINTAINER (ache@FreeBSD.ORG, I
believe).  If you don't, then there's no reason to talk to him.  :)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.