Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 19:00:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-freebsd-mobile@arctic.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

On Wed, Oct 08, 1997 at 02:03:34AM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:
>
>>> I can still read mail on my server or on my laptop.  On the server I can
>>> use whatever client suits me.  i.e. telnet and pine.
>>
>> Sure, but this is not "more" accessible, this is less.
>
> Uh I can get to it from wherever I can get on the net, even if I don't
> have my laptop handy.  I can't do offline stuff.  But you have to keep
> your laptop handy to do any mail.

I suppose this is very much a lifestyle question.  IMO, the idea of a
laptop is to have something to take around with you in order to
connect to the net.  I don't really see why I would ever need to
access the net a different way.  Of course, if you've left your laptop
at home, you can have it connected to the net, so that's not a problem
either: you just telnet in to your laptop.

In practice, I find that the best solution for me is to have my mail
go to my main system at home, and when I need it on my laptop, I
download it.  It's worked pretty well for over a year now.

Greg