Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:49:04 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD box/ADSL link config

On Jun 12, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
>> The DSL router in question is a Thomson Speedtouch 546v6.
>
> Speedtouch routers had as factory default bridging mode.
> A simple revert to factory defaults will probably enable
> you to use PPPoE from your FreeBSD box.

Just a note of caution about this specific point, against an
admirable & detailed reply-- from what I understand from another
mailing list is that the newer versions of the Speedtouch DSL modems
no longer have the capability of acting in "bridging" mode and will
always run in the 1-to-1 NAT translation mode.

This turns out to represent a significant problem for people who want
to provide NTP services to the world, perhaps via the NTP pool
project, as the rather limited NAT state table in these DSL modems
easily overflow when dealing with many stateless UDP packets....

--
-Chuck