Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:28:22 -0500
From:      Rob Clark <rpclark@tds.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn (Possible Fix)

ISSUE: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn in dmesg and /var/log/messages

$ dmesg
FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0: Tue Feb 20 22:06:43 EST 2003
 ICRC error reading fsbn 257696511 of 128848224-128848479
(ad1s1 bn 257696511; cn 16040 tn 220 sn 51) retrying
ad1s1e: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 6803007 of 3401472-3401727
(ad1s1 bn 6803007; cn 423 tn 119 sn 15) retrying

After adding a Seagate 80GB Barracuda IDE (ad1s1e) hard drive recently I began
to notice the above errors in dmesg and /var/log/messages.  After reading
posts and researching I did some testing with transferring files using
both "cp" and "mv" on:

/dev/ad1s1e

results were sporadic at best, sometimes producing the errors and sometimes not.
Believing this to be a cabling issue, I replaced the new IDE 80wire/40pin
another 80wire/40pin IDE cable only to receive even more errors of this type.
After shutting down, reopening the box, and staring blank-facedly at the
motherboard and cables I remembered what an old hardware guru suggested once
when adding additional hard drives,

"Run the IDE cable to from the controller to the interim connector
(master drive) to the end connector (slave drive)."

i.e., (diagram 1)
|<-----------------------IDE 80 WIRE CABLE-------------------------->|
::::::::::-------------------::::::::::---------------------::::::::::
controller                   interim connector              end connector
MOTHERBOARD                    MASTER DRIVE                  SLAVE DRIVE
							    (My Seagate 80GB)

I figured it couldn't be that easy.  I tried to find some info on this using
google, of course there were differing opinions on the subject. One argument
suggests that the drives will fight for bandwidth, so the logic suggested here
seems correct.

Before this, I had the drives reversed and in the order of:
(diagram 2)
|<-------------ide cable---------->|
controller-------slave-------master
              (Seagate 80G)
repeating this with other cables gave same type of error messages.

Following "diagram 1" above I used the original IDE cable, this seems to have
solved the problem. 5 days later still no error messages.  So it seems this
is a possible fix to this issue. Outside my bad diagrams,
I figured this might just be worth a try to others having similar issues.
All opinions and any additional information on this topic are welcome.

Regards,
Rob Clark