Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 2014 10:01:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        mexas@bris.ac.uk, wblock@wonkity.com
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: radeon, KMS(?), segfault

>From wblock@wonkity.com Mon Feb 24 15:24:53 2014
>
>On Sun, 23 Feb 2014, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
>> amd64 laptop at r262356.
>>
>> card: 'RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
>> I've build world with and then without
>> WITH_NEW_XORG,
>
>That setting affects ports, not base.  For Radeon, WITH_GALLIUM is also
>needed.
>
>> and in both cases I get
>> on X -configure:
>> (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
>> (II) [KMS] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol, no kernel modesetting.
>> Segmentation fault at address 0x0
>
>> I can provide more info, but perhaps
>> I'm just doing something very wrong.
>> I haven't followed the X developments
>> so I might be doing something silly.
>>
>> I tried updating via pkgng, and then
>> rebuilding ports manually.
>
>Rebuild select ports as shown here:
>https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Installing_KMS_Ports

I've followed the above instructions, still
get nowhere, e.g.:

[   308.957] (II) [KMS] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol, no kernel modesetting.
[   308.957] Segmentation fault at address 0x0

Is there a way to set up X with no KMS at all?
Something like WITH_XORG_OLD?
In other words what is the most full proof,
least feature rich config?
Something to use with just the vesa driver?

Thanks

Anton