Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 22:01:56 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freeze with 2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP + XF863323 + PII + S3V

> 	This is quite strange:
>
> Config:
>
> 	Asus P2B-LS (PII/333) with on-board fxp0 and ahc 7890,
> 	128 MB RAM, and 2 x Quantum Viking II.
>
> Symptom:
>
> 	When running X under certain conditions
> 	(must be X server supporting S3V chipset accel., like XF86_SVGA,
> 	or XF86_S3V), and with certain programs, the machine will freeze
> 	instantly (no panic, nada).

I have been seeing the same symptoms with an S3V system for a long time
(6+ months); by varying the options to the S3 server and the system PCI
timings I can alter the 'ease of freeze', but it's always possible.
Swapping console <-> X and popping up a twm menu will both do it.

Either it's a bug in the S3V code, or the hardware itself (I have had
occasional lockups on that system with other operating systems as well).