Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 08:43:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net
Subject:   Re: Frankenstein Port:  /usr/ports/www/jakarat-tomcat

In article <3B08805D.5F71CABD@webmail.bmi.net>,
John Merryweather Cooper  <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net> wrote:
> Jamie Hermans wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 May 2001 19:27:28 -0700, jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net (John
> > Merryweather Cooper) wrote:
> > >This port is messing up my "make update" run--it apparently is stuck in
> > >a cycle between installing itself and deleting itself.  Need someone
> > >with a good wooden stake to finish it . . . :)
> >
> > I just:
> >
> >         rm -f /usr/ports/www/jakarat-tomcat
> >
> > It fixed itself the next time around.
>
> Nope.  Tried that . . . it comes back!!  Someone kill it . . .

I had to make manual changes to that port in the repository over
the weekend to fix damage caused by a problem commit last year.  (A
regular file named "files" had been committed accidentally, and now a
committer wanted to create a directory by that name.)  I tested all
the permutations of cvs update and CVSup I could think of, so I don't
understand why you're having problems.  If this was your first update
since mid-December, that could explain it.

> Steps:
>
> 1. rm -rfd /usr/ports/www/jakarat-tomcat
> 2. make update  --reinstalls itself here
> 3. make update  --tries to deinstall itself and causes make update to
> fail

Unfortunately, "make update" can do 3 entirely different things
depending on the setting in your make.conf, so the information you've
provided doesn't tell me much.  Could you please fire up the "script"
program, run through the above commands again, and send me the
"typescript" file that gets created?  Also please send me the
relevant variables from your /etc/make.conf file.  The Makefile in
/usr/ports suppresses printing of the commands, and I won't know
which options were specified unless you send them to me explicitly.

Thanks,
John