Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 1995 21:38:29 -0700
From:      Tony <tony@rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISA Ethernet (ed) probe question

I'm having a strange problem with a NE2000 (clone) Ethernet card.
I'd appreciate any comments from fellow FreeBSD folks -- thanks

tony

-------

I have a generic NE2000 clone ("Ether16 LAN Card" - software programmable for
IRQ/port). Motherboard/cpu = ASUS P55TP4XE / P90

FreeBSD will only sucessfully probe the card if I have set the IRQ using
the Ether16 DOS software during the same power on period.

If I power off and on, FreeBSD hangs probing the card

i.e

0) Power on

1) Boot DOS off floppy
2) Load Ether16 setup, set IRQ to 5/15, save settings, causes system to reboot

 -- system boots -- (remove DOS disc)

3) FreeBSD boots and probes card correctly
4) Shutdown -r now

5) FreeBSD boots and probes card correctly

6) Power off

7) FreeBSD hangs probing card (boot with flags=c shows config OK)

8) Power off

9) Boot DOS off floppy
10) Load Ether16 setup, *IRQ IS CORRECT*, save anyway, causes system to reboot

 -- system boots -- (remove DOS disc)

11) FreeBSD boots and probes card correctly

[Problem is independant of IRQ used (I used 5/15), flags and iosize]