Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:18:00 +0100
From:      Richard Williamson <richard.williamson@u4eatech.com>
To:        Howard Jones <howie@thingy.com>, freebsd-small <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bootable PCI flash slot?

Howard Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just finished preparing a FreeBSD-based flash-booting
> router/firewall, which is currently using a DiskOnModule to boot from.
> If possible, I'd like the flash to be externally accessible to make
> upgrading or moving the flash a little simpler. Does anyone know of a
> PCI-slot flash carrier that can present itself as a bootable IDE drive
> with an external slot? I've found some PCI-PCMCIA cards, but they all
> talk about Windows compatibility, and appear to be aimed at digital
> camera users more than anything...

How married are you to the idea of using a PCI slot?

We have a demo network box that uses SanDisk CF cards.  The CF cards
go into a SanDisk CF PC Card Adapter, that goes into the pc-card
device, which is plugged into the IDE bus instead of the PCI bus.
The entire thing replaces a DiskOnModule :>

But it is all standard, OTC kit.

rip