Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:19:08 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to create a partition for FreeBSD 9.0?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 02:34:28 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 00:27 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > I meant the "really manual mode" (CLI) as to be seen in
> > Fig. 3-10, named "Shell" (that's why the confusion, sorry).
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html
>
> "Manually Create Partitions" doesn't work. The MD5sum for the ISO was ok
> and the burned DVD was verified.

How does "doesn't work" appear?

As far as I know, the difference to manual is that in _this_
method, you need to create your partitions yourself (the
default behaviour in ye olde sysinstall); otherwise, I think
one partition covering the whole slice will be created, this
can be sub-optimum (especially in "worse case scenarios").

> I did not test "Shell" until now and it's to late to search and read a
> howto.

The "Shell" way should always work, even when the installer
should "know better". You can find details on how to use the
CLI tools in Warren's article.

> When startup finished I push enter > Install > keyboard: German
> ISO-8859-1 > hostname: freebsd > [*] doc, games, lib32, ports, src >
> Guided Partitioning > Select the disk on which to install FreeBSD: ada0
> > Partition (not "Entire Disk") >

That's the correct approach.

> Continuing doesn't work, or I don't know what to do. FWIW, I'll use MBR
> and if possible / only.

Maybe it's because you have a totally non-standard content
already on the disk (many Linusi, "extended DOS partitions"
and so on, and the installer gets confused). That's why it
would probably be easier to drop to the "Shell" command line
and use either fdisk + bsdlabel _or_ gpart.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany