Date:      21 Mar 2003 18:17:05 +0100
From:      Dmitry Karasik <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   VCD disks

Hello,

I was greatly surprized by the fact that atapi-cd doesn't recognize VCD
disks. I didn't find any solution to that but the patch from
http://people.freebsd.org/~luoqi/ , and am wondering what were
the reasons that it was not included into the kernel?

I do not want the question to sound like a "why not", not even because
the code change is safe and minimal, but because there is no other way
to read a VCD without patching and recompiling kernel.

What I have on my 4.7-STABLE:
$ dd if=/dev/[r]acd0[c,a] of=/dev/null bs=[2048,2352,whatever]
dd: /dev/acd0c: Invalid argument

It is not even a question about mounting the device, which although
works via -t cd9660 -s 0 but leaves the files inaccessible; it is
about inability to read a perfectly valid medium.

Any comments?

--
Sincerely,
	Dmitry

--- www.karasik.eu.org ---

Life ain't fair, but the root password helps.
                      - BOFH