Date:      Wed, 3 May 2006 03:49:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting xmms to use glib-2

On Tue, 2 May 2006 freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:

 > i've rebuilt everything that used glib-1.2* to use glib-2.10.* without a
 > problem, with the exception of xmms (multimedia/xmms).
 >
 > xmms keeps installing glib-1.2. Then, glib-config is run, shows the 1.2
 > version, which doesn't match the latest package (2.10.2, which does NOT
 > support glib-config, but pkg-config instead) and the whole build process bails
 > out (capture below).
 >
 > Is it not possible to build  xmms with glib-2?
 > I tried setting the env GLIB_CONFIG to 2.10.2 with no luck.
 >
 > Should I uninstall glib-2, install xmms with glib1.2, then reinstall glib-2?

Beto, I don't know if this is a useful data point, but on 5.4-RELEASE I
recently installed xmms from ports, and recall it whinged about the glib
2.6.3 version already installed, but said (as I recall - wish I'd saved
the output) that it would build itself with glib-1.2 anyway, which I
assume it must have.  So I would up with both glibs installed:

paqi# pkg_info | grep "glib\|xmms"
glib-1.2.10_11      Some useful routines of C programming (previous stable vers
glib-2.6.3_1        Some useful routines of C programming (current stable versi
taglib-1.3.1        Library for manipulating ID3 tags and Ogg comments
xmms-1.2.10_3       X Multimedia System --- An audio player with a Winamp GUI

Older versions, I know, but xmms is working fine.

Cheers, Ian