Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:41:21 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux 3d applications keep crashing

Garrett Cooper writes:

>  	So instead of lurking and complaining, why not contribute to
>  the cause?

	While I sympathize on the complaining ... the response is
problematic.
	I see two ways to contribute to the main problem, which is lack
of usable code.  (For the moment let's discount "testing" and
"documentation".)
	One could help with one of the open source drivers.  Worthy
project, but a lot of work involving a skill-set beyond even many
coders experienced in other fields.  (I'm assuming none of these
drivers are on the cusp of a magic moment where lot of good things
suddenly happen and it's a coast downhill from there.)
	The alternative - which sounds seductive but may have its own
issues - would be to fill the Nvidia requests and let them write and
maintain the code.  Again, worthy project (which might have
collateral benefits).  Again, a lot of work.  And an even more
esoteric skill-set.
	If you have some other way a person with limited technical
skills can contribute - tell!  I'm getting closer to buying a new
system, and I'd love to have a moderm graphics card running at full
capacity.  And, as long as it didn't explode in their faces, I think
many others might be willing to help as well.

	Respectfully,

				Robert Huff