Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:58:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      SolidNet Ltd <sdxnet@stonline.sk>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drive recommendations?

Hello,

for me the following configuration works fine:

ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xdc00-0xdcff mem
0xd9001000-0xd9001fff irq 11
at device 9.0 on pci0
aic7880: Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
sa0: <HP C1533A 9608> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8)

The tape drive HP SureStore Tape 6000 (HP C1533A) I got in secondhand
for 40$. This drive is working with 4Gb 120 meter DDS-2 cartridges
(8Gb compressed) $10 each. You will also need a DDS cleaning cartridge.

As of the SW, I am using flexbackup. Amanda is too complex for small
networks.

Have fun,

Vladimir Botka