Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 23:11:12 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Carey Nairn <C.Nairn@dpac.tas.gov.au>, Salvatore Riccio <svrmsn@email.msn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't login using nis (yp)

In the last episode (Mar 25), Carey Nairn said:
> At 23:07 24/03/98 -0500, Salvatore Riccio wrote:
> >which shows that the freebsd system queries the yp server which
> >return the user information. The /etc/passwd file on the freebsd
> >system was edited to include the in the last line
> >+:*:0:0::::::
> >to add to this file the yp servers password maps.
>
> This sounds like the same problem I am having and have posted to the
> -questions list about.  As yet I have had no reply, but the server I am
> trying to authenticate with is a FreeBSD-2.0.5 machine.  All other yp
> functions (ypcat, ypbind, ypwhich...) seem to work OK.
>
> If you get anywhere with this i would appreciate any info you have.
> Likewise, if I have a breakthrough I will let you know.

Please read the passwd(5) man page, which explains that you really want

as your NIS line (and use vipw to edit it; /etc/passwd is not used
under FreeBSD).  The line you specified set a password of '*' (locking
out all NIS logins), and remapped the uid and gid for all NIS users to
0 (which would have been a huge security hole if not for the locked-out
password)

I am able to to authenticate to a NIS server running on a Netware 4.11
machine with no problems.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com