Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:58:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome-session, /dev/dsp busy, soundserver?

In the course of searching a suitable sound editor beside DAP,
I came across /usr/ports/audio/sweep today (on recommendation of a
coreader in this list), had to go through gnome-core installation just to
run this tool, one tool depends on the other and so on, you all may
know this game :-)

Anyway, finally I ended in running gnome-session just for fun, installed
xcreensave and Mesa3D and what not, got totally carried away, a totally
unproductive day, wanted to play a tune on x11amp (Alfie by Burt Bacherach,
sung by Nancy Wilson) and found that /dev/dsp was busy.

Strange I thought, stopped X11, gnome etc. Still busy. Rebooted. OK. fine.
Started X11, twm (still my favorite WM, blindingly fast startup), x11amp,
started playing the music, ran gnome-session which now said /dev/dsp busy.

gnome-session wants to play some snartch, click, boing audio samples
when certain events occur.

Now my question to make  a long story short:

How can different applications share the sound device (/dev/dsp)?
I believe the answer is 'soundserver'. Is there such under FreeBSD?